Brinjal is a warm season crop and requires a long warm growing season but it can be successfully grown even in the rainy season. Brinjal can be grown in all kinds of soil and is available around the year. Brinjal comes in many different sizes - medium, large and small round ones. The medium sized ones are usually considered to be the best and should be kept at room temperature. Also, be sure to pick the smooth, shiny and heavy ones because they're the freshest.
Aubergine, also known as brinjal.
- Aubergines are rich in fiber and antioxidants which work together to keep cancer at bay.
- Aubergines are great for weight-loss because they're low on calories. 100 grams of aubergine contains something as low as 25 calories.
- Aubergines are good for your heart and could help prevent heart disease.
- Aubergines help control blood pressure as they contains potassium which helps maintain an ideal electrolyte balance in the body.
- Aubergines are low in carbohydrates and high in fiber which helps diabetics.